Home World US marks 250th birthday with fireworks
World

US marks 250th birthday with fireworks

Share
eople gathered to attend the rally despite earlier thunderstorms. (Pic: AOL.com)
Share

WASHINGTON – The US has marked its 250th birthday with fireworks and flyovers – but celebrations across the country were complicated by extreme weather.

“The American dream is back,” US President Donald Trump told a cheering crowd during a delayed rally in Washington’s National Mall, before what he described as the world’s largest firework display. The July 4 federal holiday commemorates the 13 US colonies signing the Declaration of Independence in 1776 to end British rule.

Despite the celebrations, Trump has been criticised for making himself central to the milestone and politicising the celebrations.

The president’s speech, which wrapped up just before midnight, touched on political themes, including the rejection of communism, his backing of the Save America Act and the right to bear arms.

“Long live the cause of independence,” he said. “May it reign forever and ever and ever. We will always be on top, we will never let our country fall, we will always be the best.” Trump capped off his remarks by calling the moment ‘only the dawn of the golden age of America’ with its destiny ‘written by God’. Celebrations in Washington DC were delayed because of a thunderstorm, which forced an evacuation of the National Mall earlier in the evening.

Guests attending the Salute to America, the Great American State Fair and Fifa fan zone were asked to seek temporary shelter in nearby buildings.

Once the storm had passed, festivities began again, including a flyover featuring the new Air Force One and a concert. The grande finale – the fireworks show – was marked by a massive flurry of blasts, concluding at about 1am local time (6am GMT). The small crowd on Capitol Hill cheered before rapidly walking towards the exits as it began to lightly rain.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Mountain homes face demolition

MBABANE – EmaSwati who were allocated land on hills and mountainous areas could soon see their homes demolished as the Land Management Board...

Bhunu Mall incident: Project manager not qualified engineer

MANZINI – The ongoing construction of the Bhunu Mall has brought to the fore critical questions surrounding statutory compliance. At the centre of...

Public transport fares could increase by 25%

LOBAMBA – Public transport fares could increase by up to 25 per cent under a proposed adjustment by the Ministry of Public Works...

ESCCOM probe uncovers E17m paid into personal accounts

EZULWINI – An ESCCOM investigation has uncovered an alleged transfer of about E17 million into personal bank accounts. The purported financial irregularities involve...

Elderly man found dead in forest

MAPHUNGANE – An 80-year-old man from Mhlabubovu, Maphungwane, was found dead in a forest, with residents suspecting he may have succumbed to the...

Related Articles

SA seeks R292m repatriation reimbursement

- Sourced from IOL DURBAN - The government has spent R292 million...

India and Africa: Relations Beyond Rhetorics

(Amb Anil Trigunayat, Former Ambassador of India to Jordan, Libya and Malta)...

EU calls for stronger borders after crossings

Source from BBC News MADRIS - European Commission President Ursula von der...

Ngizwe Mchunu faces backlash after calling halt to protests

Sourced from The Citizen DURBAN - One of the anti-migration protest leaders...