Home News Investigation results will reveal truth – minister
News

Investigation results will reveal truth – minister

Share
J&E Contractor General Manager Carl Smith showing the Minister for Housing and Urban Development Appolo Maphalala the damage. (Pics: Timothy Simelane)
J&E Contractor General Manager Carl Smith showing the Minister for Housing and Urban Development Appolo Maphalala the damage. (Pics: Timothy Simelane)
Share

MANZINI – Investigations are expected to determine what caused a concrete slab at Bhunu Mall to detach from the second floor and crash onto IDENTITY Clothing, killing a shop assistant.

The deceased, Tiyandza Masilela, aged 26, was trapped beneath the rubble after the slab fell about 20 metres onto the clothing store on Tuesday afternoon.

Housing and Urban Development Minister Appolo Maphalala, who toured the accident scene yesterday, said preliminary information suggested that the steel and concrete structure attached to the mall wall had failed.

“The structure had been attached with steel and concrete to the wall. When the steel gave up, the whole structure came onto the roof and caused the damage.

“This is what we have been informed so far. We are awaiting a full report after the investigations,” he said.

The mall is currently undergoing renovations by J&E Contractors following extensive damage to its upper floors during a fire in July 2024.

Maphalala warned against speculation over the cause of the collapse, saying only a full investigation would establish what happened.

“The results of the investigations will reveal the truth,” he said.

The minister expressed condolences to Masilela’s family and the management of IDENTITY Clothing, saying it was unfortunate that a life had been lost in the incident.

“It is a pity that we ended up losing a life in the course of the accident. We mourn with the family of the deceased as well as the management of IDENTITY for the loss,” he said.

He said the affected section of the mall had been cordoned off as a safety precaution and apologised to all parties affected by the incident.

Maphalala also praised emergency personnel and construction workers who worked through the night to retrieve Masilela’s body.

“We were told that heavy machinery had to be used to remove the rubble from the pathways, while the workers worked all night. We are grateful to everyone who assisted,” he said.

A fire and rescue worker who participated in the recovery operation said rescuers initially searched the wrong section of the rubble after being informed that Masilela was trapped near a corner of the shop.

“We had been informed that she was near the corner of the shop, so we dedicated time trying to clear the pathway to the corner. When we reached there, we also worked hard to clear the rubble only to find that she was not there,” the rescuer said.

The worker said Masilela’s body was eventually discovered underneath the concrete slab.

“It was only when we started searching around the concrete slab that we discovered that her lifeless body was under it. This implies that she may have been running towards the exit when the slab fell on the roof and subsequently on her,” he said.

When Maphalala addressed the media at the scene, clothing and other merchandise remained exposed inside IDENTITY Clothing. Much of the merchandise was covered in dust from the recovery operation. All furniture was left in ruins.

The slab believed to have killed Masilela was still lying in the middle of the shop.

Also present during the minister’s visit were Manzini Mayor Xolani Masuku, Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development Dr Simon Zwane, ministry officials, Bhunu Mall management, J&E Contractors management and construction workers.

Representatives of E.D. Simelane & Associates (Pty) Ltd, a consulting civil and structural engineering firm appointed by Bhunu Mall, were also at the scene. They declined to comment, citing contractual obligations to the mall.

Meanwhile, Bhunu Mall Partnership issued a statement expressing condolences to the deceased employee’s family, friends and colleagues. It said all construction activities at the project site had been suspended until further notice.

The mall partnership said independent structural engineers and safety experts were conducting preliminary assessments to determine the structural integrity of the surrounding areas and establish whether the site was safe.

“Bhunu Mall Partnership is cooperating fully with relevant municipal authorities, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies as formal investigations commence to determine the facts surrounding the collapse,” the statement said.

The partnership said the safety of store staff, retail occupants and the general public remained its highest priority.

It also thanked emergency first responders, medical teams and search-and-rescue personnel for their efforts throughout the night.

Further updates, it said, would be issued once verified information became available from the relevant investigating authorities.

Manzini Mayor Xolani Masuku with Insurance executive Patrick Gamedze.
Some of the IDENTITY clothing that was left in the open.
J&E Contractor General Manager Carl Smith showing the Minister for Housing and Urban Development Appolo Maphalala the damage. (Pics: Timothy Simelane)
The slab fell all the way down from the area covered with a bark net.
The slab fell all the way down from the area covered with a bark net.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Public transport fares could increase by 25%

LOBAMBA – Public transport fares could increase by up to 25 per cent under a proposed adjustment by the Ministry of Public Works...

ESCCOM probe uncovers E17m paid into personal accounts

EZULWINI – An ESCCOM investigation has uncovered an alleged transfer of about E17 million into personal bank accounts. The purported financial irregularities involve...

Elderly man found dead in forest

MAPHUNGANE – An 80-year-old man from Mhlabubovu, Maphungwane, was found dead in a forest, with residents suspecting he may have succumbed to the...

How patience, passion build an empire

TaphesheyaLukhele is the founder and creative director of CraftyHook, a crochet brand from Eswatini built on creativity, passion and the belief that handmade...

Minister called me a boy, threatened me – MP

LOBAMBA — Mafutseni Member of Parliament (MP) Sabelo Mtetwa shocked his colleagues when he alleged that a Cabinet minister had threatened and intimidated...

Related Articles

Bhunu Mall incident: Project manager not qualified engineer

MANZINI – The ongoing construction of the Bhunu Mall has brought to...

SADC countries step up disability inclusion

MAHLANYA- Countries across the Southern African Development Community (SADC) are strengthening laws,...

RFM finance clerk charged for E133 754 fraud

MANZINI – A 50-year-old finance clerk employed by Raleigh Fitkin Memorial (RFM)...

Engineers flag possible shortcomings in Bhunu Mall work

MANZINI – Engineers who inspected the fatal Bhunu Mall collapse have raised...