Home Sports Eswatini Chess Open returns with E35k prize pool
Sports

Eswatini Chess Open returns with E35k prize pool

Share
The team Eswatini squad that competed in the previous FIDE Chess Olympiad. Eswatini says it will use the open tournament for the upcoming global showpiece this year. (Pic: Eswatini Chess Federation)
The team Eswatini squad that competed in the previous FIDE Chess Olympiad. Eswatini says it will use the open tournament for the upcoming global showpiece this year. (Pic: Eswatini Chess Federation)
Share

MBABANE – The dates for the Eswatini International Chess Open have been confirmed, with a prize pool of over E35 000 (US$2.1) courtesy of International Chess Federation (FIDE) Open Aid.

The Eswatini Chess Federation announced that the tournament, which was absent from last year’s calendar, will return in September. It will be a three-day event running from Friday to Sunday. It is set to feature four sections which are the Open, Ladies, Youth and Corporate.

The Tournament Director Vuyo Nxumalo said finer details such as the registration platform and venue are still being finalised. Nxumalo added that registration will open very soon.

He also explained that the dates were deliberately chosen to help Team Eswatini prepare for the 46th FIDE Chess Olympiad. Uzbekistan will host the global showpiece from September 15 to 27.

“We expect this tournament to reinforce our preparations and give us a final assessment before we step onto the global stage. We are also looking forward to welcoming national teams from the region, including Mozambique, South Africa and Lesotho, among other countries,” the TD said.

The Eswatini Chess Open was last staged in December 2024. That edition carried a E10 000 first prize in the Open section and E5 000 in the Ladies category.

Worth noting is that FIDE Open Aid is a financial support programme originally launched during the COVID-19 pandemic to help open chess tournaments survive financially and to support chess professionals who rely on these events. It has since become a regular annual initiative.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

Public transport fares could increase by 25%

LOBAMBA – Public transport fares could increase by up to 25 per cent under a proposed adjustment by the Ministry of Public Works...

ESCCOM probe uncovers E17m paid into personal accounts

EZULWINI – An ESCCOM investigation has uncovered an alleged transfer of about E17 million into personal bank accounts. The purported financial irregularities involve...

Elderly man found dead in forest

MAPHUNGANE – An 80-year-old man from Mhlabubovu, Maphungwane, was found dead in a forest, with residents suspecting he may have succumbed to the...

How patience, passion build an empire

TaphesheyaLukhele is the founder and creative director of CraftyHook, a crochet brand from Eswatini built on creativity, passion and the belief that handmade...

Minister called me a boy, threatened me – MP

LOBAMBA — Mafutseni Member of Parliament (MP) Sabelo Mtetwa shocked his colleagues when he alleged that a Cabinet minister had threatened and intimidated...

Related Articles

E8.9m purse awaits emaSwati in 100th Comrades

MBABANE – An eye-watering E8.9 million prize purse awaits Eswatini’s elite athletes...

Palma on ‘Weslians’ radar!

MBABANE – Another chance for a deregistered Manzini Wanderers player to prove...

Sandriver fishing showdown set for weekend

MBABANE – All roads lead to the Lubombo waters this weekend, as...

Lesotho wins 13 medals from Eswatini National Games

MBABANE – The Lesotho National Olympic Committee (LNOC) has announced that Team...